international sales

Advanced Search
Username:

Password:



News

Recent Posts

Archive

Categories

Historical Stained Glass Companies


Otto F. Andrle Stained Glass Institute


Buffalo, NY


Otto F. Andrle Stained Glass Institute    
1915 Advertisement    

Atkinson Bros.


Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England


Atkinson Bros.    
1920 Advertisement    

J. Clarke & Sons


Dublin, Ireland


J. Clarke & Sons    
1920 Advertisement    

Columbia Stained Glass Co.


Milwaukee, WI


Columbia Stained Glass Co.    
1936 Advertisement    

Charles Connick


Boston, MA


Connick opened his studio in Boston in 1913 and, in many respects, the studio was the arts and crafts ideal in that the art was produced by a community of 40-50 committed craftsmen working side by side with Connick. Upon his death, Connick left the business to his fellow craftsmen. For 41 years the studio continued to receive commissions and design windows in the Connick tradition. The studio closed its workshop in 1986 because the workers were aging and the tall modern buildings of Copley Square threatened the light source essential to their work. The final commissioned window the studio produced was placed in All Saints Parish in Brookline, MA. Throughout its history, the Charles J. Connick Associates Studio produced some 15,000 windows for more than 5,000 churches and public buildings. Some of its most famous installations include the 73-foot-tall transept windows at the Heinz Memorial Chapel at the University of Pittsburgh and the rose windows of the Cathedrals of St. Patrick and St. John the Divine in New York City.


Daprato Statuary Company


Chicago, IL - New York, NY


Daprato Statuary Co.    
1915 Advertisement    

Flanagan & Biedenweg


Chicago, IL


Flanagan & Biedenweg    
1915 Advertisement    

Emil Frei Art Glass Co. - Ravenna Mosaics Inc.


Munich, Bavaria  - St. Louis, MO - New York, NY


Emil Frei Art Glass Co. Emil Frei Inc. - Ravenna Mosaics Inc.  
1915 Advertisement 1936 Advertisement  

The Von Gerichten Art Glass Co.


Munich, Germany  - Columbus, OH - New York, NY


The Von Gerichten Art Glass Co.    
1915 Advertisement    

Kayll & Reed


Leeds, England


Kayll & Reed    
1920 Advertisement    

Henry Keck


Syracuse, NY


Henry Keck apprenticed at Tiffany Studios and studied in various German companies before opening his own business in 1913 in Syracuse, NY. Keck's windows had a distinctive arts and crafts style, different from traditional stained glass. His drawings were simple and inventive with thickly leaded outlines which emphasized stylized but naturalistic figures, trees, and other details. His compositions were carefully studied and arranged in mosaic-like patterns. Keck chose opalescent glass for its bright and pure colors and unique textures which produced remarkable and dramatic moods in response to changing light. By 1920, when some 900 glass studios were operating in America, Keck had a reputation as one of the best stained glass designers in the business. This reputation was based mostly on the many Gothic revival church windows he produced throughout his lifetime. After his death in 1956, the Henry Keck Stained Glass Studios continued to produce superior glass windows until it closed in 1974.


John J. Kinsella and Company


Chicago, IL


John J. Kinsella and Company    
1915 Advertisement    

John LaFarge


New York City, NY


Producing much of his best work in the late 1800s, LaFarge was an artist of great range of skill and was as known for his painted murals as for his work in stained glass. His innovations in opalescent glass revitalized the art of stained glass with remarkable pictorial effects. A lifelong Roman Catholic, he did much of his best work for churches. His splendid windows may be seen in the churches of Buffalo, NY, and Worcester, MA, and in the chapels of Harvard and Columbia universities.


B. Leonard


Quebec, Canada


B. Leonard    
1915 Advertisement    

C. D. Malz


New York, NY


C. D. Malz    
1936 Advertisement    

Franz Mayer & Co. (Mayer & Co. of Munich).


New York, NY - Chicago, IL - Munich, Bavaria


Mayer is a German stained glass design and manufacturing company that has been active throughout most of the world for more than 150 years. The firm was very popular during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century and was the principle provider of stained glass to the larger Catholic churches constructed throughout the world during that period. Mayer is responsible for stained glass in at least nine of Ireland's cathedral churches (Derry, Thurles, Letterkenny, Ballaghaderreen, Waterford, Ballina, Enniscorthy, Carlow, and Cobh). Stylistically, Mayer's windows tend to contain richly colored scenes bordered by architectural frames consisting of pilasters, columns, and elaborate canopies. Commonly, the lower portions of the windows have richly bordered panels. Still in the family today, the company is now headed by Gabriel Mayer, a direct descendant of the founder, and continues to design and execute windows in all styles and techniques - medieval, contemporary, and also naturalistic.

Mayer & Co. of Munich Mayer & Co. of Munich Franz Mayer of Munich, Inc.
1915 Advertisement 1915 Advertisement 1936 Advertisement

Milwaukee Mirror and Art Glass Works


Milwaukee, WI


Milwaukee Mirror and Art Glass Works    
1915 Advertisement    

Montague Castle-London Co.


New York, NY


Montague Castle-London Co.    
1915 Advertisement    

John Morgan & Sons


Brooklyn, NY


John Morgan & Sons    
1915 Advertisement    

The Munich Studio


Chicago, IL


The Munich Studio    
1915 Advertisement    

Wm. Pearce & E. Cutler, Ltd.


Birmingham, England


Wm. Pearce & E. Cutler, Ltd.    
1920 Advertisement    

Petgen Co.


Pittsburgh, PA


Petgen Co.    
1915 Advertisement    

Wm. B. Quaile


New York, NY


Wm. B. Quaile    
1915 Advertisement    

Carl Reimann


Milwaukee, WI


Carl Reimann    
1915 Advertisement    

G. C. Riordan & Co.


Cincinnati, OH


G. C. Riordan & Co.    
1915 Advertisement    

Robertson & Russell


Sheffield, England


Robertson & Russell    
1920 Advertisement    

Tiffany Studios


Corona, New York


Perhaps the most common name in stained glass to even the casual observer, Tiffany glass refers to the many and varied types of glass developed and produced from 1878 to 1933 at the Tiffany Studios by Louis Comfort Tiffany and his team of designers. He opened his own studio and glass foundry because he was unable to find the types of glass that he desired in interior decoration, his first passion. His inventiveness, both as a designer of windows and as a producer of the materials with which to create them, was renowned. Among the types of glass and techniques credited to Tiffany are: opalescent, favrile, streamer, fracture, ripple and drapery. The Holy City (1905), St. John's vision on the isle of Patmos, one of eleven Tiffany windows at Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church in Baltimore has 58 panels and is thought to be one of the largest Tiffany Studio windows.


Tyrol Art Glass Company


Innsbruck, Austria


Beginning in the 1870s after The Great Fire, Chicago became a great epicenter for German and Austrian stained glass. The Munich studios of Franz Mayer and F.X. Zettler and the studios of the Tyroler Glasmalerei Anstalt (Tyrol Art Glass Company) in Innsbruck began to send representatives to sell their new patterns for churches. These three studios often worked together and their style is interchangeable. From the 1870s to the 1920s, Chicago became the most influential center of Catholic culture in the United States. Unlike that of any other period of history, its state-of- the-art church design included brightly colored windows, often displaying action packed scenes from biblical events or episodes from the life of a patron saint. The appeal of Munich and Austrian style glass declined greatly after the 1920s in the face of almost overpowering American competition led by Louis Comfort Tiffany.

Tyrolese Art Glass Company Tyrolese Art Glass Company  
1915 Advertisement 1936 Advertisement  

F. X. Zettler


Munich, Bavaria


Franz Xavier Zettler originally worked for his father-in-law Joseph Gabriel Mayer and founded the stained glass department within Mayer’s “Institute of Christian Art” in 1862. He struck out on his own in 1870 and his fledgling company achieved its first success with award-winning windows displayed at the 1873 International Exhibition in Vienna. By the end of the decade, Zettler’s firm had 150 employees and its success continued to be confirmed with additional honors and awards. In the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, a Zettler window won top prize over a Tiffany. “Professor Franz,” as students and admirers knew Zettler, died in 1916 at the age of 75. The F. X. Zettler Studio was reunited with the Mayer Studio in 1939.

Zetler Studios, Inc.    
1936 Advertisement    

Emil Zundel


Hollis, NY


Emil Zundel    
1915 Advertisement