international sales

Advanced Search


Statuary St. Jean Eudes

Filter By:   New Antique View All View Related Projects

St. Jean Eudes

St Jean Eudes (1601 - 1680) was born in Orne, France. He was a French missionary, founder of the Congregation of Jesus and Mary and of the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of the Refuge. In addition, he was the author of the Propers for Mass and Divine Office of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary.


John Eudes, born at Ri, Orne, was a brother of the French historian Francois Eudes de Nezeray. At the age of fourteen he took a vow of chastity.

After studying with the Jesuits at Caen he joined the Oratorians on 25 March 1623. His masters and models in the spiritual life were Pierre de Berulle and the mystic Charles de Condren. He was ordained a priest on 20 December 1625 and began his priestly life with heroic labours for the victims of the plague, which was ravaging the country.

Father Eudes became famous as a missionary. He was called by Jean-Jacques Olier "the prodigy of his age".

In 1641 he founded the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of the Refuge, to provide a refuge for prostitutes who wished to do penance. The society was approved by Pope Alexander VII on 2 January 1666. It later also included a convent which in 1829 influenced Saint Mary Euphrasia Pelletier who established the Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd (also called Good Shepherd Sisters) after Our Lady of Charity of the Refuge.

With the approbation of Cardinal Richelieu and a great number of others, Father Eudes severed his connection with the Oratory to establish the Congregation of Jesus and Mary (Eudists) for the education of priests and for missionary work. This congregation was founded at Caen on 25 March 1643, and was considered a most important and urgent work.

Father Eudes, during his long life, preached not less than 110 missions, three at Paris, one at Versailles, one at St-Germaine-en-Laye, and the others in different parts of France. Normandy was the principal theatre of his apostolic labours. In 1674 he obtained from Pope Clement X six bulls of indulgences for the Confraternities of the Sacred Heart already erected or to be erected in the seminaries.

Father Eudes dedicated the seminary chapels of Caen and Coutances to the Sacred Hearts. The feast of the Holy Heart of Mary was celebrated for the first time in 1648, and that of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1672, each as a double of the first class with an octave.

The Mass and Office proper to these feasts were composed by Father Eudes.For this reason, Pope Leo XIII, in proclaiming his virtues heroic in 1903, gave him the title of "Author of the Liturgical Worship of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Holy Heart of Mary".

Saint John Eudes taught the mystical unity of the hearts of Jesus and Mary and wrote:

"You must never separate what God has so perfectly united. So closely are Jesus and Mary bound up with each other that whoever beholds Jesus sees Mary; whoever loves Jesus, loves Mary; whoever has devotion to Jesus, has devotion to Mary."

"The most striking characteristic of the teaching of St. John Eudes on Devotion to the Sacred Heart-as indeed of his whole teaching on the spiritual life--is that Christ is always its centre. Through Christ, with Christ, in Christ-per Ipsum, cum Ipso et in Ipso--all devotion and all piety achieves its end.

Since the Sacred Heart of Jesus is God's Love symbolically (though by no means merely metaphorically, figuratively or arbitrarily) expressed, all those acts which belong to strictly divine worship (Cultus latriae) have first place in this devotion. For, God Himself is its object."*

Father Eudes wrote a number of books remarkable for elevation of doctrine and simplicity of style. His principal works are:

"Le Royaume de Jesus"

"Le contrat de l'homme avec Dieu par le Saint Bapteme"

"Le Memorial de la vie Ecclesiastique"; "Le Bon Confesseur"

"Le Predicateur Apostolique"

"Le Coeur Admirable de la Tres Sainte Mere de Dieu". This last is the first book ever written on the devotion to the Sacred Hearts.

He died at Caen on 19 August 1680.


His virtues were declared heroic by Pope Leo XIII on 6 January 1903. The miracles proposed for his beatification were approved by Pope Pius X on 3 May 1908, and he was beatified on 25 April 1909. St. John Eudes was canonized in 1925. His feast day is August 19, the day of his death.

The text in this box was generated from a Wikipedia article, which is released under the CC-BY-SA.

Read More

Title: New Hand Carved Marble or Wood Statue of St. Jean Eudes
Item Number: KRNM-722
KRNM-722: New Hand Carved Marble or Wood Statue of St. Jean Eudes. Finishes and colors to your specifications. Dimensions: Available in sizes 3 feet and taller. Call for ...